Grade 6 - £31,557-£34884pa (plus contracted overtime £7,729pa)
Location Central Depot Hornchurch
Contract type (Permanent)
At the London Borough of Havering’s in-house Transport Workshops, we pride ourselves on being creative and self-driven. With our main objective of providing a quality run service to all our fleet users.
Our aim is to help support our large council fleet operators, maximizing fleet availability, achieving positive outcomes and reducing down time and cost all times.
About the Job
Transport Day Fitter’s role is to carry out the following:
- We require a multi-skilled Day Fitter to be based at our in-house modern workshops in Havering
- The successful candidate will be working under the direction of the Workshop Charge Hand, work as part of a team providing cost effective vehicle servicing and repairs within agreed service times (SLA’S) to the council’s fleet vehicles & plant machinery.
- Required to diagnose faults and repair on a variety of Vans, Buses, HGVs, specialist vehicles and plant including small plant.
- Capable of carrying out Loler inspections / services to Tail lifts on our large fleet of buses (Loler training can be provided to suitable candidates’).
- Capable of Identifying reasons for repair and report back findings
- Capable of working on vehicle classes 4, 5, 6 & 7 for M.O.T preparation.
- Capable of being on Standby for planned Winter Gritting (Nov – Mar).
- Capable of being on 24hr Standby (Fleet Vehicles) outside of core working hours.
- Day shift (36 hours per week plus 7.5 hours contracted overtime).
For further information about the role please click on the Job description
- Experience of working in a controlled workshop environment.
- Ability to maintain high performance standards in repairs & maintenance on Vehicles & Plant
- Must be able to communicate clearly across the company, its suppliers and its customers
- Be practical, efficient and able to prioritise workload in a busy working environment
- Be enthusiastic about joining a dynamic local authority and be
- proactive in identifying opportunities to improve quality and productivity
- Desirable - City & Guilds Level 1,2 & 3 Vehicle Maintenance or
- Equivalent NVQ 1,2,& 3
- Desirable – MIG Welding Skills (NVQ) or equivalent
- Desirable - Knowledge of Tranman data base
- Holder of a HGV Class 2 licence
- Desirable holder of a Fork Lift licence (Training available to successful candidate)
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Simon Blake on 01708 433202
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 31st October 2021 however interest in this job may be high and we therefore reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
You will be notified if your application has been successful. Interview date to be confirmed.
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Helpdesk on 01708 432770
The London Borough of Havering is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Havering Redeployees.
The London Borough of Havering is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Please attach your supporting statement, explaining in no more than x2 A4 sides why and how you meet the criteria for this role.